Descendants of Ann Growcott and Thomas Withnall
If you think you are connected to this family or have information to add please contact webmaster
Generation No. 1
1. ANN GROWCOTT was born 1811, and died 8 February 1873 in Milford, Staffordshire. She married THOMAS WITHNALL 29 May 1831 in St Mary, Staffs, son of JOSEPH WITHNALL and SARAH DALE.
More About ANN GROWCOTT:
Baptism: 15 December 1811, Baswich, Staffs, ENGLAND
Burial: 1873, Aged 61 on MI.
Census: 1851, Aged 39, born Milford
Buried Baswich Church Graveyard
Visited gravestone 10-9-98
More About THOMAS WITHNALL:
Baptism: 2 July 1809, Baswich Staffs ENG
Burial: 28 January 1873, Baswich Staffs ENG Aged 63 on MI.
Census: 1841, Aged 32 Quarryman in Milford
Buried in Baswich Church graveyard
Source: IGI P011031
Children of ANN GROWCOTT and THOMAS WITHNALL are:
i. EMMA WITHNALL, b. 1837, Milford, Staffs.
More About EMMA WITHNALL:
Baptism: 18 June 1837, Baswich Staffs ENG
Census: 1851, Aged 13 born Milford
ii. THOMAS WITHNALL, b. 1839; d. Bef. 1847.
More About THOMAS WITHNALL:
Baptism: 28 July 1839, Baswich Staffs ENG
Burial: 22 December 1843, Baswich Staffs Aged 5 BER
iii. ELIZA WITHNALL, b. 1841, Milford, Staffs; m. WILLIAM HILDITCH, 13 June 1864, Baswich Staffs ENG.
Notes for ELIZA WITHNALL:
In 1861 Census a servant at the house of William Frazer Castle Rd Baswich
a Lic. Vit.
More About ELIZA WITHNALL:
Baptism: 30 May 1841, Baswich Staffs ENG
Census: 1851, Aged 10
Notes for WILLIAM HILDITCH:
Living at Whitgreave at time marriage
More About WILLIAM HILDITCH:
iv. MARY ANN WITHNALL, b. 1843, Milford, Staffs.
More About MARY ANN WITHNALL:
Baptism: 21 May 1843, Baswich Staffs ENG
Census: 1851, Aged 6
v. JANE WITHNALL, b. 1845, Milford, Staffs.
More About JANE WITHNALL:
Baptism: 31 August 1845, Baswich Staffs ENG
Census: 1851, Aged 5
vi. MARIAN WITHNALL, b. 1845, Aged 6 1851 Census Milford1.
vii. THOMAS WITHNALL, b. 1847, Baswich, Staffordshire; d. 18 February 1865, Baswich, Staffordshire.
More About THOMAS WITHNALL:
Burial: 18 February 1865, Baswich Staffs ENG
Census: 1861, Aged 13 Ag. Labourer
viii. SARAH ANN WITHNALL, b. 1850, Milford, Staffs.
More About SARAH ANN WITHNALL:
1: 1850, Aged 1 1851 Census Milford
Census: 1851, Aged 1
2. ix. JABEZ WITHNALL, b. 1852, Baswich, Staffordshire.
3. x. ARTHUR WITHNALL, b. 14 December 1854, Baswich, Staffordshire, baptised on ex Parish Record; d. 18 December 1931, 14 Strowan Crescent, Glasgow.
Generation No. 2
2. JABEZ WITHNALL was born 1852 in Baswich, Staffordshire. He married HANNAH1.
Notes for JABEZ WITHNALL:
Census: 1861, Aged 9, 47 Milford Common
Child of JABEZ WITHNALL and HANNAH is:
i. AGNES E. WITHNALL, b. 1877, Aged 4 1881 Census Station Road, Codsall, Stafford.
3. ARTHUR WITHNALL was born 14 December 1854 in Baswich, Staffordshire, baptised on ex Parish Record, and died 18 December 1931 in 14 Strowan Crescent, Glasgow. He married (1) MAGGIE PRATT MUNRO 28 April 1876 in 5 Myrtle St, Kelvin, Glasgow, daughter of THOMAS MUNRO and JANET HARLEY. He married (2) JEAN STODDART 16 October 1894 in 129 Paisley Rd West, Glasgow1, daughter of GEORGE STODDART and JANE MCEWAIL.
More About ARTHUR WITHNALL:
Baptism: 14 December 1854, Baswich Staffs ENG
Census: 1861, Aged 6
18 December 1931, cause of death Myocarditis, Bronchitis age 77
1891, Stayed in 215 Lowwaters Hamilton in 1891
Came from Eccleshall ? in Staffordshire. heresay ?
Parents stayed in Milford, Staffs
Occupation: 1894, Quarryman in 1894
More About MAGGIE PRATT MUNRO:
Census: 1891, Aged 23, in Hamilton
Died of Peritinetritis 9 months
witnesses at wedding Hellen Christie, John McLean
residence in 1876 5 Myrtle St, Glasgow
Known As Maggie
Occupation: Cotton Warper in 1876. 5 Myrtle St, Glasgow
More About JEAN STODDART:
Census: witnesses William H Laird, Janet H Dunmore
residence before marriage ? Tuphill, Cadrow
Died of senility aged 99
Occupation: Domestic Servant
Children of ARTHUR WITHNALL and MAGGIE MUNRO are:
i. JESSIE HARLEY WITHNALL, b. 1878, England; d. 16 December 1905, Hamilton; m. JOHN THOMSON, 28 February 1902.
More About JESSIE HARLEY WITHNALL:
Census: 1891, Aged 13, in Hamilton
died aged 28 of infective endocardilitis
Address: 8 Hope St, Hamilton
More About JOHN THOMSON:
ii. THOMAS MUNRO WITHNALL, b. 30 June 1879, 5 Myrtle St, Glasgow; d. 23 March 1881, 5 Myrtle St, Glasgow.
iii. PATRICK WITHNALL, b. Abt. 1880.
iv. WILLIAM WITHNALL, b. 11 October 1880, 71 Lowwaters, Hamilton.
More About WILLIAM WITHNALL:
Census: 1891, Aged 10, in Hamilton
4. v. ALFRED WITHNALL, b. 6 August 1883, 85 Lowwaters, Hamilton; d. 27 June 1954, Udston Gdns, Hamilton.
vi. ELIZABETH HARLEY WITHNALL, b. 11 October 1884, 85 Lowwaters, Hamilton1; d. 16 September 1965, Canniesburn Hospital, Bearsden1; m. ALEXANDER FORSYTH, 17 June 1908, United Free Church, Luphall House, Hamil1.
More About ELIZABETH HARLEY WITHNALL:
Census: 1891, Aged 5, in Hamilton
36 Auchengramont Rd, Hamilton
Jean S McKenzie (niece) informant
September 1965, Hold list of Residual Legatees from Estate
Occupation: Worked in Post Office
More About ALEXANDER FORSYTH:
4 Clyde St, Motherwell
Occupation: Owned clothes shops
5. vii. ARTHUR MILFORD WITHNALL, b. 13 February 1887, 117 Lowwaters, Hamilton; d. 31 August 1971, Willoughby, NSW, Australia.
6. viii. ROBERT ALBERT MUNRO WITHNALL, b. 25 August 1888, 115 Lowwaters, Hamilton; d. 1944, Rockdale, NSW, Australia 12655.
ix. MAGGIE MUNRO WITHNALL, b. 23 July 1890, Hamilton; d. 26 September 1923, Rosebank Cottage, Blantyre; m. HUGH MCGEECHAN, 3 June 1910, United Free Church, Hamilton.
More About MAGGIE MUNRO WITHNALL:
Census: 1891, under 1, in Hamilton
Died carcinoma uteri
Known as Peggy
More About HUGH MCGEECHAN:
\Gertrude thinks went to Australia
7. x. WALTER GRIFFITH WITHNALL, b. 10 May 1892, 221 Lowwaters, Hamilton; d. 12 May 1969, 22 Hunter Avenue, Ardrossan.
Children of ARTHUR WITHNALL and JEAN STODDART are:
8. xi. ANNIE GROCKETT WITHNALL, b. 4 September 1895, Hamilton; d. 21 June 1975, 14 Strowan Cres, Glasgow.
9. xii. GEORGE STODDART WITHNALL, b. 17 August 1896, Tuphall Cottage, Hamilton.
10. xiii. JAMES HAMILTON WITHNALL, b. 21 July 1898, Tuphall Cottage, Hamilton.
Generation No. 3
4. ALFRED WITHNALL was born 6 August 1883 in 85 Lowwaters, Hamilton, and died 27 June 1954 in Udston Gdns, Hamilton. He married LILLY BRUNTON 1 July 1910 in Auchingramont Est. Church, Hamilton, daughter of THOMAS BRUNTON and CHRISTINA WATSON.
More About ALFRED WITHNALL:
Census: 1891, Aged 7 in Hamilton
1918, Wood Sawyer
Died from coronary thrombosis
1913, Colliery Worker
stayed at 5 Portland Park, Hamilton
More About LILLY BRUNTON:
Died of cardiac failure
Known as Lillias
Children of ALFRED WITHNALL and LILLY BRUNTON are:
i. ALFRED MUNRO WITHNALL, b. November 1910; d. 8 February 1911, 4 Burns St, Bant, Hamilton.
More About ALFRED MUNRO WITHNALL:
Died 4 months Acute Gastritis
ii. CHRISTINA WATSON BRUNTON WITHNALL, b. 26 January 1912, 4 Burns St, Bant, Hamilton; d. 1995, Dunfermline; m. WILLIAM BROWN, 26 February 1932, 45 Wellington St, Blythswood, Glasgow.
More About CHRISTINA WATSON BRUNTON WITHNALL:
September 1965, 25 Kirktonholme Cres, East Kilbride
Occupation: Domestic Servant
More About WILLIAM BROWN:
5 Clyde Row, Auchentiber, by High Blantyre
Occupation: Coal Hewer
11. iii. HELEN HAMILTON WITHNALL, b. 4 June 1913, 4 Burn St, Hamilton; d. 11 November 1990, Hairrmyers Hospital, East Kilbride.
iv. ELIZABETH BRUNT WITHNALL, b. 4 June 1913, 4 Burns St, Hamilton; m. THOMAS CRICHTON KELLY, 4 November 1938, Hamilton.
More About ELIZABETH BRUNT WITHNALL:
Census: twin of Helen Hamilton Withnall
Udston Gardens, Hamilton
witness Helen Withnall
September 1965, 54 Comelybank, Hillhouse, Hamilton
More About THOMAS CRICHTON KELLY:
46 Udston Place, Hamilton
v. RETA WITHNALL, b. 18 August 1918, 7 Morgan St, Hamilton; m. JOHN HOGG, 1 January 1940, Golmorts Memorial Church Manse, Hamilton.
More About RETA WITHNALL:
87 Comelybank, Hillhouse, Hamilton
More About JOHN HOGG:
Occupation: Sergeant Major, The Barracks, Hamilton
vi. ARTHUR WITHNALL, b. 2 July 1924, 7 Morgan St, Hamilton; d. 19 October 1967, 25 Kirktonmolme Cres, East Kilbride.
More About ARTHUR WITHNALL:
September 1965, staying with Kelly at 54 Comely Bank, Hillhouse, Hamilton
Died aged 43 from Chronic Bronchitis
5. ARTHUR MILFORD WITHNALL was born 13 February 1887 in 117 Lowwaters, Hamilton, and died 31 August 1971 in Willoughby, NSW, Australia. He married MARY A E SMITH 1915 in Bathurst, NSW, Australia.
More About ARTHUR MILFORD WITHNALL:
Census: 1891, Aged 4, in Hamilton
Jumped ship into Australia ?
Record as father (ex Joanne)
1906 in tel dir at 28 Cambridge St, Willoughby, NSW
722301 Withnall, Arthur Milford, Willoughby, died 31/8/1971
1958 Electoral roll Plumber
Occupation: Butler for Duke of Hamilton in Hamilton Palace
More About MARY A E SMITH:
1958 Electoral Role 28 Cambridge St, Willoughby, Home duties
Children of ARTHUR WITHNALL and MARY SMITH are:
i. JEAN A WITHNALL, b. 1916; d. 1930, NSW, Australia.
ii. KATHLEEN MARY WITHNALL, b. 1918; m. DOUGLAS HAROLD SAUNDERS, 1941, NSW, Australia.
More About DOUGLAS HAROLD SAUNDERS:
22 DeVilliers Avenue, Charswood, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Occupation: 1940 Elect Roll - Customs Clerk
6. ROBERT ALBERT MUNRO WITHNALL was born 25 August 1888 in 115 Lowwaters, Hamilton, and died 1944 in Rockdale, NSW, Australia 12655. He married (1) LYDIA MOSS WILLOTT 1913 in Sydney, NSW, Australia, daughter of JOSEPH WILLOTT and ELIZABETH MOSS. He married (2) DORIS EILEEN PEARCE 1940 in NSW, Australia.
More About ROBERT ALBERT MUNRO WITHNALL:
1: On marriage to Doris states mother as Jean
Census: 1891, Aged 2, in Hamilton
Jean Withnall confirms married to a Lydia
Occupation: Records from NSW as fathers (Ex Joanne)
Child of ROBERT WITHNALL and LYDIA WILLOTT is:
i. EDNA CYBIL WITHNALL, b. 1914; m. HAROLD WILLIAM HOWARTH, 1938, NSW, Australia.
7. WALTER GRIFFITH WITHNALL was born 10 May 1892 in 221 Lowwaters, Hamilton, and died 12 May 1969 in 22 Hunter Avenue, Ardrossan. He married MARGARET STEWART BUSBY 31 December 1912 in Y.M.C.A Hall, Hamilton, daughter of HUGH BUSBY and ISABELLA NOBLE.
More About WALTER GRIFFITH WITHNALL:
Census: Died age 77 of Arteriosclerosis, Cerebral
residence in 1913 20 Southwood, Abington
Explosive Works Foreman in 1940
Occupation: Postman in 1913
More About MARGARET STEWART BUSBY:
Died of coronary thrombosis
wedding witnesses John Toner, Jeannie King
residence in 1913 Chapelwell St, Saltcoats
Known as Noble since childhood
Children of WALTER WITHNALL and MARGARET BUSBY are:
12. i. MARGARET WITHNALL, b. 8 June 1931, Kerr Ave, Saltcoats.
ii. GRIFFITH ARTHUR WITHNALL, b. 4 February 1916, Argyle View, 32 Manse St, Saltcoats, Ayrshire; d. 22 July 1917, 32 Manse St, Saltcoats1.
More About GRIFFITH ARTHUR WITHNALL:
Buried in Nobles Grave, Ardrossan Cemetary
13. iii. ISABELLA NOBLE WITHNALL, b. 13 December 1914, Hill St, Saltcoats, Ayrshire.
14. iv. JEAN STODDART WITHNALL, b. 3 July 1918, Argyle View, 32 Manse Street, Saltcoats; d. 20 June 1993, Newmilns.
15. v. WALTER WITHNALL, b. 27 December 1923, Ardrossan; d. 12 June 1991, Ravenspark Hospital, Irvine, Ayrshire.
8. ANNIE GROCKETT WITHNALL was born 4 September 1895 in Hamilton, and died 21 June 1975 in 14 Strowan Cres, Glasgow. She married SAMUAL ARTHUR 4 August 1926 in Park Lodge, Bothwell Road, Hamilton, son of JAMES ARTHUR and SARAH RAMSEY.
More About ANNIE GROCKETT WITHNALL:
Died from myocardial infarction
Saffronhall United Free Church
More About SAMUAL ARTHUR:
Census: 14 Strewan Cres, Sandyhills, Glasgow in 1953
179 Kingarth St, Govenhill, Glasgow
wedding witness Robert Ramsey Arthur
Occupation: Rep with Biscuit firm, Tunnocks?
Child of ANNIE WITHNALL and SAMUAL ARTHUR is:
16. i. JEAN ARTHUR, b. 24 September 1928, Hamilton.
9. GEORGE STODDART WITHNALL was born 17 August 1896 in Tuphall Cottage, Hamilton. He married AGNES SMITH IRONS 18 September 1923 in The Manse, Union St. Hamilton, daughter of WILLIAM IRONS and ANNIE MCCOWAN.
More About GEORGE STODDART WITHNALL:
1928, 87 Cameron Cres, Hamilton
Children of GEORGE WITHNALL and AGNES IRONS are:
17. i. JEAN ARTHUR IRONS WITHNALL, b. 8 January 1932, Beckford Lodge, Hamilton.
18. ii. ANN STODDART WITHNALL, b. 4 June 1928, Beekford Lodge,Hamilton.
10. JAMES HAMILTON WITHNALL was born 21 July 1898 in Tuphall Cottage, Hamilton. He married LILLIE ?.
More About JAMES HAMILTON WITHNALL:
Possibly Moved to London
Child of JAMES WITHNALL and LILLIE ? is:
i. PATRICK WITHNALL, b. Abt. 1920.
Further information withheld.
Return to Top