Ayrshireroots

www.Ayrshireroots.com   and   www.Ayrshireroots.co.uk

Surnames

 

Home ] Up ]

Home Added Archives Search Towns Genealogy Surnames Guest Book

Archives 2000-01

Random Riddle Latest News   Surname Database   Weather Today in History
Ayrshire Books     Message Forum   DNA Tests Special Offers

 

 

 

The LOVE'S of Threipwood, Parish of Beith, Ayrshire

 
Transcribed from Paterson's genealogical account regarding the Love's of Beith by Linda Nordby

 
"History of the County of Ayr & Wigton Vol 111: Cunningahme"  James Paterson, 1866
Extract from the Families of the Ayrshire, Part 1.

______________________________

The LOVE'S of Threipwood, Parish of Beith, Ayrshire

  "1. James LUIFF seems to have settled at Threipwood before 1613. This appears from the inscription on a stone there. “I.L_B.S._1613. This James, therefore, and, in all probability, a Barbara STEWART, were the ancestors of Robert, the purchaser of the lands in 1633. In 1556 a Matho Stewart was one of the tenants of Threipwood under the Abbacy. Barbara may have been a daughter of Matho and the marriage of James Luiff and Barbara Stewart may have been the cause of the Luiff’s settling at Threipwood.

2.
Robert Luiff in all likelihood the son of James. James HAMILTON of Stanehouse sold the lands to Robert Luiff, who is designed as “in Threipwood” at this time, conform to a disposition dated the 13th of June 1633 and he resigned them into the hands of George Earl of Kinnoul, Lord Chancellor of Scotland in the reign of Charles 1. The instrument of resignation is dated June 14, 1634. And, on the same day a charter of confirmation and resignation was granted by the Crown at Edinburgh in favour of Robert Luiff.

The witnesses to this charter were:
Maister
James HUME, clerk to the secretary
Maister
Patrick BROWN, clerk to the secretary
John STEWART of Ascog
George CAMPBELL, sheriff clerk of Ergyle
Maister
George NORWELL, servitor of Sir Thomas Hope of Craighall

He appears as a witness in the testament of
Mareoun CONNELL in Threipwood-Beith, December 8, 1635. He is styled “Robert LOVE, portioner of Threipwood;” as he had, immediately after he acquired the lands, sold and sub- feued a portion, amounting to a 6s 8d land, called Midtoun to William ANDERSON and which now belongs to Alexander SHEDDEN, and another 6s 8d land,
called Townend to
Thomas FULTON; these two farms hold of the propriertor of Threipwood. His son,

3.
James Love of Threipwood succeeded. He was retoured heir to him 27th June 1649, and infeft on a precept from the crown. He married Barbara STEWART (perhaps his second cousin), from Risk, in the parish of Lochwinnoch, in 1652; for on another stone at Threipwood, there are the following initials:“J.L.---B.S., 1652.” By this marriage there was a son, named Robert. There was another son, named James, born 1674, but whether by Barbara Stewart is not known.

Robert Love of Threipwood, eldest son to James, was served heir to his father, 6th December, 1693, and had sasine on a crown precept, dated 23rd April, 1694. Robert was being a crown vassal in “ane 40 shilling land of auld extent,” was admitted to the roll of the freeholders for Ayrshire, and attended their meeting at Ayr, at the time of the Union. It appears, from the records of the freeholders, that he voted got the election of John MONTROMERIE of Giffen in 1710. But he lost his place on the roll on 29th
May, 1741, the lands being kirk lands, and within 400 pounds Scots of valuation. Robert married
Agnes STEVENSTON, supposed from Bra-Haugh, Neilston parish, on the 10th March, 1690. There is a stone at Threipwood bearing these initials:
“R.L.---A.S., 1690.”…he had issue---- Barbara, married to
Robert SMITH in Langpark, and had issue. James.____ William; and 4, John, who both resided in Beith.

____
James Love of Threipwood, who is designed in the Beith record as “portioner of Threipwood,” was born in 1694. He was never vested nor seised in the lands. He died in 1743, aged 49. He married Jean ROBINSON, daughter of Andrew Robison of Wardyett, in Lochwinnoch parish, 27th April, 1732. He
had issue---

1.
Robert._____
2.
Jean, who died in infancy.
3.
Jean, died unmarried.
4.
James, married Margaret, daughter of John STEVENSTON of Fithpart, in Dunlop parish, and had issue.

____
Robert Love of Threipwood, born in 1734. He died 4th March, 1813. He was retoured heir, not to his father, James, but to Robert, his grandfather, on the 19th December, 1769. He married, first, Janet, daughter of William COCHRANE of Millthird, Neilson parish, about 1760; and secondly, Jean, eldest daughter of John CONNEL of South Castlewalls, (footnote) in the parish of Lochwinnoch,* a cadet of the Connels of Grangehill, and Margaret Tod, in 1769. He had issue by the first marriage— Jean, who married Robert Smith of Crucks, Lochwinnoch, and had issue. James. And by the second marriage--- 3. Margaret, married to William Brodie of Carse, Lochwinnoch, and had issue. Robert, who died unmarried. John.____

____
John Love of Threipwood, born in 1781. He expede a crown charter of resignation and confirmation, which is dated at Edinburgh, 20th July, 1831. He was a Commissioner of Supply, Road Trustee, and Justice of the Peace for Ayrshire. He acquired the lands of the Netherhill, in the parish and barony of Dunlop; also the lands of “Tower of Auchenbathie,” and a portion of the
lands of “New Mill of Auchengown Stewart.” He married
Jean FULTON, youngest daughter of John Fulton of Spreulstoun. He had issue____

____
Robert, writer in Lochwinnoch. He married Mary Hunter, only daughter of Thomas CARSWELL of Reivoch, 17th September, 1844. She died 9th July, 1845, leaving an only child, a daughter, born 30th June, 1845, named MARY HUNTER CARSWELL LOVE

John Robertson.
William Fulton, studied for the law.
Robert Love, the eldest son, succeeded. "

*There is strong fortification—one of those ring forts used by the ancient Britons—on this property, called “Castlewalls Hill.” The hill is a prominent object in the surrounding country. Several warlike relics were discovered when removing part of the works. The site of the battle of Muirdykes, in 1685, is a short distance from this place—Wodrow’s History. Amongst other remains, a ring was found of rather a curious description. It is about one and a half inches in diameter inside, and made of hone-stone, similar to
that used for distaffs. It is supposed by antiquaries that it was used in solemnizing marriages—the finger of both the bride and the bridegroom being put into it."


 
 
 

 

   
 

 

 

and .co.uk

 

Copyright © 2000-15    The contents of these webpages are copyright.