AYRSHIRE ROOTS

 

www.Ayrshireroots.com   and   www.Ayrshireroots.co.uk

Genealogy Section

 

 

 

 

  to the 1837 Directories Index Use browser 'back' to return to Town Page

 

 

KILWINNING   1837 

  Ayrshire Directories by Pigot & Co    

Kilwinning_Cross.jpg (92009 bytes)

 

Is an ancient and thrivin little manufacturing town, in the parish of it's name, and district of Cunningham; 24 miles from Glasgow, 3 nw of Irvine, 4 se of Saltcoats, the like distance s of Dalry, 10 nw of Kilmarnock and 5 from Ardrossan; situate on rising ground about 2 miles from the sea; stretching westward from the right bank of the Garnock, and approached through long ambrageous paths, skirted by beautiful fields.  It consists chiefly of one street and bye-lanes, with a few rows of modern houses.  The weaving and manufacture of gauzes, muslins, shawls, etc are carried on, to an important extent, for the Glasgow and Paisley markets, to which they are conveyed by the local agents.  The agricultural produce of the parish is likewise considerable; and coals, which are obtained in abundance, are conveyed by a railway passing from east to west across the parish.  The only remarkable objects are, the picturesque ruins of the ancient abbey founded by Hugh de Morville in 1140; and the beautiful tower of the church, to which its style of architecture bears no resemblance; this tower cost, exclusive of the old materials, the sum of 2000, raised by subscription and to which the late Earl of Eglintoun was a liberal contributor.  The present Earl has a fine mansion in the neighbourhood, called Eglintoun castle.  Kilwinning was the first place in Scotland where free masonary was established; it is said to have been introduced by the foreign architect who was employed in erecting the monastry here.  Besides the distinction acquired from its ancient masonic lodge, it is also remarkable for being the seat of a company of archers, ascertained to have existed as early as the year 1488; and the society at the present day is most respectable.  Fairs are held on the 1st of February, new style; and on the first Wednesday after the 19th of October, old style. Post Office Donald McMallan - post master - The Kilmarnock, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Irish and English mails arrive every morning at half past seven and are despatched every evening at five.

       NOBILITY, GENTRY AND CLERGY

Bowman, Miss M. of Ashgrove  Campbell, Rev Archibald  Manse Cowan, Rev Samuel           Eglintoun, the Right Hon. Earl of  - Elgintoun castle Glasgow, Robt Esq  of Mountgreenan  Johnston, George Esq  Redbarn McGregor, Rev Alexander  Miller, Wm Esq  of Mount castle Reid, James Esq  of Dalegarven    Smith, Mrs  Smithton 

     PROFESSIONAL PERSONS

Boyle, William  writer and notary Brown, John  surgeon Burns, Robert  surgeon                       Craig, Robert  surgeon Cunningham, John  writer and notary King, Hugh  writer and notary Ramsay, John  MD  surgeon 

      AGENTS TO MANUFACTURERS

Boyd, Bryce             Brown, William           Cochran, Agnes

Conn, Hugh              Conn, Hugh jnr          Richmond, John

Richie, John                  Service, John                 Service, Robert

Woodside, Hugh        Young, Andrew            Young, George 

      SCHOOLS

Auchenteber Boys School        William Cameron - master

Bullerholes Boys School      Thos Thomson - master

Byre's Boys School            James Miller Gardiner - master

Dalgarvan Boys School      George Young - master

Gibson, Helen  (girls' day)

Goldie, Hugh  (boys' day)

Hamilton, John  (boys' day)

McFie, Jean  (girls'day)

Martin, Hannah  (girls' day)

Parish School            James Ramsay - master 

                             INNKEEPERS AND VINTERS

Blair, Jas (Eglintoun Arms)       Boyd, James             Boyd, John

Brown, Robert                  Conn, Hugh & Co         Dickie, Robert

Fulton, James                   Gray, Robert                  Kenneth, Elizabeth

Kerr, William                       Knox, James             McGavin, Robert

McMaster, James             McVey, Charles           Miller, William

Pritchard, Robert                  Skeoch, John                  Smith, John

Wallace, Andrew                  Whinton, Andrew         Wilson, Hugh

Wyllie, John 

      SHOPKEEPERS AND TRADERS

Adair, William  cabinet maker Aitken, David  tailor Allan, Wm  watch and clock maker       Allan, William  blacksmith Anderson, Thomas  lime burner  Monkredden  Blair, James  clock and watch maker  Boyd, James  auctioneer Boyd, John  grocer  Brydone, John  grocer Carverrie, John  tailor  Clark, David  flesher clark, John  linen draper Clark, Thomas flesher Conn, Hugh & Co  grocer Craig, Thomas  grocer Crawford, Robert  grocer  Dickie, Robert  corn miller Dowra Collery Co  Monkredden  Dunsmuir, John  coal proprietor  East Dowra Fennie  Archibald  Coal proprietor  Fergus Hill Fulton, James  grocer Goldie, John  tailor Jack, James  shoe maker  Kenneth, Archibald  coal manager King, Thomas  millwright Kirkwood, James  grocer and draper Knox, James  grocer   Knox, John  grocer & spirit dealer Lambe, George  grocer Leitch, William  baker McGavin, Robt  grocer & auctioneer McKannan, James  grocer McNair, William  flesher Miller, William  ironmonger Montgomerie, Hugh  shoe maker Muir, David  cabinet maker Muir, William  cabinet maker Murray, John  tailor Nevvin, Isabella  straw hat maker Pritchard, Robert  grocer Reid, James  wheelwright  Richie & Cochrane  tanners &c Robertson, James  blacksmith Scott, John  grocer Service, James  blacksmith Service, Margaret  straw hat maker Taylor & Kennedy  coal proprietors  Eglintoun colliery Todd, James  turner Wallace, Andrew  blacksmith Whinton, Andrew  grocer Whinton, John  cartwright Wilson, Hugh  flax dresser Wilson, John  blacksmith Wyllie, David  tailor Wyllie, John  grocer Young, James  corn merchant Young, Joseph  linen draper 

      PLACES OF WORSHIP

Established Church      Rev Archibald Blair Campbell  manse

Antiburghers            no minister

United Secession      Rev Alexander McGregor 

      COACHES

To Ardrossan   the "Ayrshire Lass" (from Kilmarnock) calls at Eglintoun Arms every morning (Sunday excepted) at half past nine.

To Glasgow the "Fair Trader" (from Saltcoats) calls at Wallace's every morning (Sunday excepted) at half past seven and the "Herald" at half past six in the evening.

To Kilmarnock the "Time Keeper" and an omnibus (from Saltcoats) call at Eglington Arms every morning (Sunday excepted) at half past eight and the "Ayrshire Lass" (from Ardrossan) at half past six in the evening.

To Saltcoats the "Herald" (from Glasgow) calls at Wallace's every morning (sunday excepted) at half past nine and the "Fair Trader" at eight in the evening; an omnibus (from Kilmarnock) calls at the Eglintoun Arms, every evening (Sunday excepted) at half past five and the "Time Keeper" at six. 

      CARRIERS

To Glasgow & Paisley    Jas Jack and Robert Boyd, every Tues and Fri

To Saltcoats                  John McBride & James Harris daily

 

 Return to top of page

  to the 1837 Directories Index Use browser 'back' to return to Town Page

 

 

 
 

 

 
 

& .co.uk

 

 

Copyright 2000-15   The contents of these webpages are copyright.